All roads lead to Jesselton

Play up, play up, and play the game!
Questers
Patriotic SMSian

Re: All roads lead to Jesselton

Postby Questers » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:40 pm

Harper stayed seated at his desk while the King's Cousin paced about, looking all over the room and making comments here and there on Harper's personal effects. He was clearly waiting for Harper to offer him a drink, but Harper liked playing this game too much. Nonetheless, no work would be done until the King's Cousin had had at least half an Ingrams and soda, so Harper finally broke.

'Would you like something to drink, Sir?'

The Cousin stopped in his tracks. 'At this time? Maybe... it's a little early, no? Well, are you having one?'

'Yes.'

'I shall have one too then.' Harper poured out two glasses and popped a bottle of soda open. 'To good health!' The Cousin raised his glass, and then drained half of it. The soda caused him to burp. Harper feigned a burp too.

'Were you able to receive the report I had sent down to you by courier?'

'Yes! The report. All good stuff. I have it here with me.' The Cousin opened a manila file and leafed through some pages. 'You have a knack for intelligence work, I think. All the bases covered so far. Only -- hmm, I am not sure about this one.' The Cousin finished his whisky soda and poured himself another, sans soda. 'GECKO. There's not a lot of information here. Who is this GECKO?'

'That's a codename. We have a possible agent inside the Company itself. But she hasn't been turned yet. I'm working on it. Only it feels wrong.'

'Tell me more,' the Cousin said, sipping his drink now.

'My aide-de-camp, Gosling, has met this girl. Turns out she's a Praetonian. Works for the Expeditionary Company, some secretarial role. But um... I am not sure whether to execute the turning operation. If it fails, she'll give us away. And we can't be sure she's not trying to play us. It's just that I feel off about this. I think I've seen her before. It's a strange feeling.'

The Cousin was silent for a while. 'You trust this Gosling man?'

'I met him at the railway station in KP, during the war. We fought from there until we dug the reds out of their holes in Naugarh. I don't know if I trust another person more than I trust him. So yes, absolutely. With my life.'

'Oh, yes. I was looking at your war record. Volunteered in the Kuantan Loyal Regiment.'

'The communists killed my uncle in a bombardment.'

'Yes. Transferred to the front north of Kota Kuala. Heavy fighting. Decorated once. Absorbed into the Kota Kuala Rifles. Your people held the high-water mark of the syndicalists there. Then heavy fighting all the way through to Naugarh. Decorated again. Sent to Tairendia, spent two years in intelligence there. Transferred here. You are a loyal officer of His Majesty, Colonel Harper. And so young, too.'

'I don't feel young.'

'Pscht. You're twenty-nine. But, I wonder. If the Nampata Expeditionary Company offered you something better, would you switch sides? I don't think you would feel too out of place with these Praetonians. You're all whites, aren't you?'

Harper didn't have an immediate answer. The correct thing to do would be appeal to a Malay sense of personal bonding and patronage; feign being insulted, et cetera. Unfortunately, the question was a common sense one.

'I might. But where would I live? Here? I couldn't show my face around. Praetonia? My family came over here three hundred and fifty years ago. I've never been there and unless the King sends me, I probably never will.' He shrugged. 'There are two hundred thousand whites in the King's Army. He can't distrust them all.'

'Quite.' The Cousin said. 'Execute your decision. Turn GECKO.'
[Tue 22:53:29] <colo> holy shit you are the fucking worst guy

Questers
Patriotic SMSian

Postby Questers » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:21 pm

When Olivia came home from work, she unlocked her door, greeted her cat, and then found three men sitting in her living room. She recognised one as Harper. The other two burly and bald Malays she did not know.

At first she was in total shock, then she feigned continued shock, then she sat down and crossed her legs, without saying a word.

'Now, there are four scenarios I've been thinking about,' Harper said. 'One, you are an idiot, and you think I am also an idiot. You did not think you would get caught. I think that is unlikely. Do nod or shake your head if you'd like to confirm.'

She kept her head still.

'Secondly, I could have you shot and your body dumped in the Mogami. You and your commanding officer are reckless, and did not realise that I might very well do this.'

Harper put a cigarette in his mouth, and one of the burly Malay men lit it for him.

'Third scenario: you assumed that I would not shoot you, because we are on the same side. I agree this is a rational assumption for you to make, but you have no manner of accurately gauging how rational I am.' He leaned in a little closer to her. 'I might be a complete maniac.'

He leaned back. 'Scenario number four: you have, by total coincidence, fallen in love with my good friend and colleague, and having found out his station, been activated for a specific purpose which I have so far yet failed to figure out. So which is it?'

'I'm under no obligation to answer.'

'Come now. You are not Olivia Fairweather, a secretary of the Nampata Expeditionary Company. You are Olivia Woods, agent observateur of the Vigilance Committee. You are not twenty-four, but in fact twenty-seven; you do not have a finishing school diploma from St Peters in Haversham -- a fine school, I'm sure, but not your alma mater; in fact you have a masters degree in classics from Senland Commonwealth College. A first class masters degree, too. I have seen you before; you were present at the King's Victory Party in Kuala Pahang. I have seen you at a certain institution in Tairendia, more than once.'

'You know it would be a very bad idea to kill me.'

'Well.' Harper picked up a lighter on the side of the table. 'Do you know this is mine? I lent it to Gosling and he left it here. As a matter of political principle, I am not bothered that my best friend is sleeping with an agent of the Committee. Fine. At least you're not a Communist. But that you are playing him for some information to put in a desk in Haversham is enough for me to tell Mohammed here to put three bullets in your chest and tie some concrete to your feet and drop you in the Mogami.' Mohammed yawned loudly, showing a bulky automatic in a shoulder holster beneath his jacket. 'See? It wouldn't be a problem for him.'

'I'm not playing him.'

'Is that so. Is that so. Now look here. It is quite true that we are on the same side. There are certain things that we both have to fear about the Nampata Company. Perhaps you do not entirely trust me; I do not trust you either. If you are taking one of my boys for a ride, so to speak, I will speak to my counterpart in your organisation and have you sent home. It will not look good for you to have your cover blown so quickly. Your career may well be over, in that case. Alternatively -- you can either let him down gently, or you can go on with what you're doing. But that would make us friends, wouldn't it?'

'You come into my house with your hired goons, make passive aggressive comments about my sex life and threaten to shoot me, and now we're friends?'

'Alright then. We're colleagues. Professionally speaking. Perhaps we shall see each other again.' Harper stood up and the goons left. 'I'm afraid to say we roughed your house up a little bit looking for some things. You may send the bill for the maid to our office. I see that you bought some cognac. I hope that's not for Gosling. He doesn't drink cognac. Get him some port.' Harper slipped his shoes on and stood at the door. 'Gosling rather likes port.'

Praetonia
Patriotic SMSian

Postby Praetonia » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:04 pm

"This factory was purchased for seventeen ounces of silver," Thomas Marbury said, tapping the spot on the map. "Can you imagine?"

He spoke softly. Was he really the richest man in the world? "I would have paid several pounds, in fact."

He shook his head. A huge bearded and turbaned Sikh sat beside him, and two shareholders opposite him. They did not respond. It was clear that he was talking to himself. "The world is so different now. Who would doubt us now? It is worth more than ten tons, I imagine. Even in its likely state."

The rotor blades beat above them and the jungle spread out below. To each side, half a dozen more helicopters, and ahead there was a clearing. Marbury leapt up and thrust himself bodily through the open window of the helicopter, straining to make out the shape in the distance with his whole upper torso exposed to the onrushing air. "Yes, yes I think I see it! The extractor's still intact!"

The radios crackled in the cockpit. Movement sighted on the ground, The pilots chattered to one another in their North Point accents. The shareholders in their linen suits strained to hear. Marbury pulled a pair of binoculars out of the top pocket of his tattered army shirt. Possible vehicle sighted.

Marbury's helicopter suddenly tilted its nose down and the man hung there, just for a moment, as if to say to the world that he could. The other helicopters shot ahead, and Marbury retook his seat with a face of utter calm.

Loud bangs could be heard up ahead, more radio chatter, Marbury's helicopter turned sharply, and then it was fully visible: tracer fire from the ground. Up ahead, one of the helicopters was hit. Engaging hostile APC. Marbury saw the looks on his shareholders' faces, and could help but smile. "Just a bit of fun, eh lads?" A stream of rockets from one of the helicopters filled the world with fire and noise, and the machine gun stopped. The damaged helicopter crunched into the clearing, its skids collapsing as it touched the ground. Half a dozen helicopters followed and troops poured out of them, the rest circling the area with rockets.

As the troops spread out Marbury's helicopter landed behind them, the man forgetting his guests, the shareholders, almost leaping out onto the plain.

He strode excitedly over to the burning wreckage of the APC. The turbaned Sikh followed. Marbury took in the whole vehicle, and then something at the back caught his eye. A syndicalist flag tied to a radio antenna. He bounded toward it.

"You shouldn't go with them any more, Tom," the turbaned Sikh said, striding behind, with an Oriental accent. "They lose three or four men out of two hundred. How long do you think you'll last?"

Marbury jumped up onto the deck and yanked the flag free, draping it over his shoulders. "Oh what's the use of living if life doesn't make you afraid to die?"

Up ahead, the troops had reached the factory gatehouse, and glued an enormous poster to the glass window.

PROPERTY OF THE NAMPATALAND EXPEDITIONARY COMPANY

PROOF OF SALE DEPOSITED AT THE COURT OF MARITIME SETTLEMENT, HAVERSHAM
AVAILABLE ON REQUEST

TRESPASSERS WILL BE SHOT
<leis2> Otoh i am also an antiquarian so im legitimately interested in how purple dye was made in sidon
<leis2> (using mollusks)

Questers
Patriotic SMSian

Postby Questers » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:21 am

There must have been about thirty people in the room; somehow Harper felt he was the lowest of them all. He was certainly the youngest. The King's Cousin had told him that he would do all the talking, and everything would be fine. Somehow, after everything he had been through, Harper found it hard to be calm.

He had met the King, who had asked which Regiment he had been in, and then grunted twice upon having been told. Two grunts is good, the Cousin had said. The King had once said that the Kota Kuala Rifles was his favourite Regiment, so it must have meant something. The King had aged, but seemed more energetic than ever; he was either totally still, or in constant and rapid motion. He could go from looking almost sleepy to jerking his hands from here to there in half a second.

Presently, the briefing began. It was not the Cousin who spoke, but an older, white man, in a full Generals uniform.

'As you are all aware, the Nampata Company shows no signs of slowing down. They're retrieving claim after claim, but worse, they are now beginning to raise their own troops. This is totally unacceptable. Our agents across northern Questers have begun a series of covert operations which will work against the Company.'

Silence.

'Although some natives have come into the Company's arms, their director - Marbury - is a foreigner. He does not understand this country, or how to deal with its people. From what we can gather, he is unlikely to delegate too much to any of his subordinates. Therefore, we must force his hand. Our agents are in the process of preparing a series of civil disturbances which will be too much for the Company to deal with. When our own troops arrive to put down the disturbances it will be clear that we are the only ones who can provide real security. While we can not interfere openly with the Company, we are preparing the ground for cyber-interference.'

The King grunted.

'At the same time we are preparing a body of agent provocateurs within the Company's own troops which will shatter the confidence of investors in the Company, and possibly force Marbury to request formal assistance from us, or the Estates Observation Army. The Estates will not keep its Army here forever, and once we promise to take over to relieve the financial burden, we will have achieved our goal. If Marbury resists the pressure, then there are contingencies to remove him. He has a strong personality, but we believe the Company is a one man operation, so to speak.'

The King grunted again, then spoke. 'Very well. I assume all the proper preparations have been made. You are aware that this plan skirts what we may openly endorse, and has something of the essence of a second Mutiny in it. Have we the required number of troops to enforce order once the riots break out?'

'More can be made available.'

'Very well.' The King reached for a decanter of cognac. 'Some arrangements will have to be made. We shall have to speak to some people. But broadly, I approve of this plan. All is falling into place. Only one question remains.'

'Yes, your Majesty?'

'Who is going to have this bloodbath on their conscience?'

Harper tried, and failed, not to wince.

Praetonia
Patriotic SMSian

Postby Praetonia » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:43 pm

"You see here, gentlemen, a society with a future," Marbury strolled nonchalantly down the street. "A walled society? Certainly."

The shareholders followed, in silence.

"A walled society in which only the best men live. Men who can do something. Men who believe in the highest ideals of mankind. Men who accept the common law."

Two trucks passed. Their drivers saluted Marbury, and he acknowledged with a quick touch of his hat.

"Outside these walls, the men drown in their own muck. Syndicalists, mostly, or the useless population of this country," he went on. "But here, we are defended by the local militia, composed of local homeowners.

"The Estates-General says it will enforce the law on everyone. Well, we here will enforce the law with only those on who accept the law. We will succeed, and the others will fail. And in the end, all will fall in to line with those who have and make success.

"No one wants to be a loser. No one wants to be with a loser.

"We are winners."

---

"The Smyth building is still standing."

It was not a surprise. Fox shuddered inwardly.

"Can we blow it up?"

"It would be expensive, sir."

"Yes, perhaps," he spent some time calculating how much money he had. "In any case, how about the contributors?"

"There are more contributors, sir," the aide said, "There are always more. Not so many, but more..."
<leis2> Otoh i am also an antiquarian so im legitimately interested in how purple dye was made in sidon
<leis2> (using mollusks)

Questers
Patriotic SMSian

Postby Questers » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:42 pm

When he was a boy, Harper's father had taken him to Jesselton. It had been a long ride on the train from Kuantan. They had stood outside The Mall, that huge open air green shopping centre, and Harper had eaten ice cream. This is the largest shopping centre in the Western Commonwealth. Maybe in the whole Commonwealth, Harper's father had said. He had kneeled down next to the ice-cream eating boy and said: Look here how there are people of all kinds. Some of them are brown, black, white, yellow, whatever. That man there has a turban, and that woman there a hijab. You see, she wears sari. That man wears a suit. In other countries, they might kill each other, but not here. Here we have Law.

Harper watched The Mall burn. The fires were visible for many miles, spread out over all parts of the city. Property damage estimate? Impossible. Lives taken? Must have been in the hundreds already. It had not taken long for the crowd of slum-dwellers, fired up by whatever conviction they were given, to get out of control. They were everywhere; on some streets, Indians fought Malays; in others, Malays fought Chinese, but for the most part, the Hindoos were the kindle of the conflagration. Some business about beef and cows and something else. Harper did not know the precise details, but if there was anything to ever get a Hindoo worked up about ...

There were gunshots, too. Many of them, but not enough to put down a riot.

Harper peered over the edge of the Hotel Gazebo. A group of Gorkhas manned a machinegun nest on a lower roof, and sporadically fired rounds into the street below, warning shorts for wandering groups of rioters. He looked back at the city burn, and summoned his aide-de-camp. 'As Chief of the Royal Military Liaison, I have the authority to request relief. Is Twenty Corps in position?'

The man nodded.

'Then bring them in.'

Praetonia
Patriotic SMSian

Postby Praetonia » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:20 pm

Dear Field Marshal bin Afiz,

In response to sudden and growing unrest in Jesselton, I have committed my local forces and elements of the flying column of the Army of Observation ("BROOKFORCE") to the aid of the civil power. Elements of two more divisions of the Estates' armies will enter the city tomorrow.

It is my intention, and current policy, to apply immediate and overwhelming force to halt the spread of disorder in this country and to affirm the prestige and authority of the Law.

As the senior-most local commander, in possession of the most powerful local force, I request that you relinquish to me command of your forces in the city, so as to permit the most effectual coordination of our actions to achieve our common goals.

With comradely greetings,

William Fox
Marshal of the Estates-General

Given at GHQ Army of Observation, Jesselton, 6th November 2016
<leis2> (using mollusks)

Questers
Patriotic SMSian

Postby Questers » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:40 pm

From the Office of - HIS MAJESTY THE KING, FIELD MARSHAL Abdul Sulung bin Roslan Mohammed Afiz, Paramount Leader of the Federation, protector of Islam on the Continent and the Scourge of Syndicalism

To the Office of - Marshal Sir William Fox

I agree wholeheartedly with you, Sir, that order must be imposed and the prestige and authority of the Law returned. It is with great happiness that I hear two Divisions of your forces are moving into Jesselton to suppress this terrible outrage. Naturally, I will order all members of the Watch to co-operate with you.

As our own forces, including the XX Corps of the Army of the Axackal, advance upon Jesselton to restore order, it becomes apparent that as Our forces in Jesselton will be more numerous than yours, with of course the inclusion of the Watch, co-operation would be greatly enhanced if you were to allow my Corps Commander to direct your Forces as required.

Regards

Questers
Patriotic SMSian

Postby Questers » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:39 am

'Your report, Corps Commander.'

The King's Cousin sat upon the chair backwards; his stomach leaked out of the chair's spine.

Lieutenant-General Maximillian Colton-Kelsey stood very still. His cap was underneath his arm, and he had only a wisp of hair. Hampton was a fighting man. His grandfather had commanded a Corps at the Shangani. His family had come to the new world on the Gannet, or so he said, and he did not like to take orders from a Malay.

'I have already wired my report to you.'

'Yes, but I want it in person. Are there any problems? Tell me in your own words, one sentence, our progress.' The Cousin fiddled in the chair. He was drunk, and he knew that Colton-Kelsey knew it. This was a consistent problem in his life, and he had stopped caring about it, with some effort, many years ago.

'Our Forces are in total control of the situation; all of the major subscribers are safe and protected, and the rising is being quelled.'

'The rising, Corps Commander?'

'That is what some of our troops are calling it. There have been some incidents. We have had to shoot a great many people. Some of them have been shooting back.'

'Very well. Dismissed.'

Colton-Kelsey saluted and left. The Cousin and Harper could hear him talking to somebody outside, but could not make the words out through the thick oak door. The Cousin got up, with much effort, and paced the room. Harper thought about going to the window and watching, but he had seen enough. He smoked a cigarette instead.

'Put that damn thing out,' the Cousin snapped, in Malay. Harper paused for a minute, then stubbed it out. 'Everything is going according to plan. Colton-Kelsey managed to get both of his Divisions into the city. I know that one of the Azfal's Cuirassiers regiments has parked its tanks on the Great Bridge. There are others at the train stations and so on. But something feels off. It seems like Colton-Kelsey is having more trouble than we had thought.'

'I doubt it,' Harper said. 'Fox is not co-operating. His troops are in part of the city, and where we cross paths, we're backing off. The thing we don't want is to shoot a Praetonian. That is really what we do not want to do.' The Cousin looked at Harper with open eyes. 'We really do not want to do that. That's ... we can't do that.'

'Do you forget who you're speaking to?'

'We really don't want to do that, Your Eminence.'

The Cousin was very nearly trembling; Harper thought it might be fear, but for the colour of his face. At this point, he didn't care. The Cousin was very drunk, and tomorrow he would wake up and feel all silly about it, as usual. He began to pace the room more rapidly, swearing in Malay, knocking things off desks. Finally he turned to face Harper, who was sitting down, and began to wag his finger. Harper watched his belly draw in and out and push the keris on his belt at funny angles .

'White people! You're all the same! You come here for three hundred, four hundred, years, and you think you run the place. We've been here for thousands, ten thousands. We're going to have this country, I don't care how many General Colton-Kelseys or Marshal Foxes there are kicking around -- they mean nothing!'

Harper had not noticed his clipped Praetonian accent before. The Cousin had gone to boarding school in the old country.

'Listen to me, Colonel. I want you to crush this riot, this rising. This is your plan, you can finish it.' He held down a buzzer. 'Get the Lieutenant-General in here, now.' While they waited he cursed more, eventually reaching for a decanter. The Lieutenant-General arrived just as he finished his drink and he quickly put it down, dropping it in the process. 'Lieutenant-General, you are no longer in command of this operation. You are promoted hereby to Chief of Staff of the Army of the Axackal.'

He turned, slowly, to Harper. 'And you, Brevet Lieutenant-General, are going to finish this little rising. Shoot every last looter you see. Restore order: the King's order.'

This can't be happening, Harper thought.

Questers
Patriotic SMSian

Postby Questers » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:07 pm

Is this real?

Is this really happening?

Harper stared in the mirror. The Lieutenant-General pips stared back at him. Brevet, of course, but still. A Lieutenant-General. He held a whisky glass in his hand and suddenly dropped it; he swore very loudly, and there was a knock at the door. He picked the glass up and went and opened the door.

'What the hell are you doing here?'

Olivia blinked. 'What? You're not even going to invite me in? What would your boys think if they saw me standing outside your door like this? In just a bathrobe?'

'Go the hell away,' Harper said.

'I think I can hear someone coming round the corner,' she whispered. He grabbed her by the bathrobe collar and pulled her into the room, closing the door.

'What the hell are you doing?'

'I've just been visiting your friend. No, don't worry, he's asleep.' She went to a decanter and poured herself a whisky. 'He has a lot of spunk, that chap.'

'You're disgusting.'

'Well, I had nowhere else to go.' She sat on the bed. 'Say, last time I saw you, you were going to shoot me. Do you know I've a derringer under here? Ho-ho.'

Harper exhaled. 'You're not going to shoot me.'

'Isn't what what I said? The irony. Anyway, I might. I think you're a criminal. No offence.'

'You're really pushing it.'

'I think that I could shoot you and any court in the Commonwealth would take my side. I think they'd say, that Harper fellow, he's an outrageous outlaw. Any man, or woman, could shoot him down. Yes, he's a danger to the law, that chap. Good old Olivia got it right. What a brave little lass, confronting a monster like that. I think that's what they'd say. I reckon the Thunderer would run a good piece on me. Don't you think?'

'What the hell are you talking about?'

She lay back on the bed and put a pistol on her stomach. It wasn't a derringer, but it was definitely real. And it was definitely loaded.

'A riot in Jesselton -- a big one. The Nampata Company's troops, helpless little souls, are left fighting for their lives. Suddenly, thirty thousand Malay troops who just happen to be on an exercise appear. Then follows the Army of Observation. The riot is put down, with vicious -- oh, so very vicious -- force. Subscribers, Associates, those under your protection are quickly and efficiently ferried to protected areas. The rest of the city burns. Hmm.'

'We are entitled to protect those who pay their dues first.'

'Hold on, I haven't finished. So where do you suppose Marbury is now? Perhaps he's out there doing something heroic. I don't know. Chaps not a fighter, is he? Not a war hero like you. Or your King. Or Marshal Smyth. Or Marshal Fox. He's just a little businessman, out of his depth here in the big bad frontier commonwealth. So maybe, just maybe, the Federation and the Estates thought they'd teach him a lesson? Set some natives loose then beat them up, that'll put the wind up his sails, eh?'

Harper breathed in very, very deeply.

'You're talking crap. Get out of my room. I have a briefing to attend.'

'Nooo, I'm not done yet.' She picked up the pistol and pointed it at him. Harper froze. 'So how does a riot start in Jesselton, hm? A couple of Moslems murder a cow outside a temple? Some little Hindoo thugs force an old Malay man to eat some bacon or something? Come on. Are you people amateurs? I thought you're meant to be the professionals. You're not doing a great job. You got three different races at each others throats, yellow, black and brown, and they started shooting each other, and started shooting some white people in the process. I reckon that makes you a criminal, Mister.'

'Lieutenant-General to you. Now look here. If you had meant to shoot me, you would have done it already. Put the damn gun down and get out. You're a wild fantasist. A silly little girl that some nutter in Haversham promoted away above her pay grade. No wonder your superiors think you're an idiot. Do any of them believe your wild claims? The Federation and the Estates start a riot just to get one over on Marbury? Get out. I've got a pair of Gorkhas down the corridor who'll throw you out if you want to cause a scene.'

She sighed and got up, putting the gun away. Harper tried not to show anything. 'Right. If my superiors believed what I had to say, you'd already be dead. I just wanted to rile you up a bit,' she said, walking for the door. 'But by the way. What do you think would happen if they did come round? Supposing I were to find some good, strong evidence?'

'There's nothing to find evidence for.' Harper opened the door. 'Now piss off.'

'See you later,' she said, and walked out. Harper sat down. The briefing could wait for ten minutes he thought, filling up a glass.

Return to “The Great Game”