Choose Your Own Veridis

Play up, play up, and play the game!
flm
Patriotic SMSian

Choose Your Own Veridis

Postby flm » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:58 pm

Veridis and the Flamaguayan Colonial Confederations that compose it

Welcome to Choose Your Own Veridis!

You are part of the notable citizens of Tirsanechó, delegates, judges, scholars, and businessmen, gathered in the smoking room of the Lawn Bowling & Badminton Club of the sleepy colonial capital of Bray Fentos. Together, you represent a significant portion of the political and economic power of the colony. Further recent devolution of powers to the Colonial Council mean that the only aspect falling out of your purvey is control of the military.

Almirante Hugo Colihue is commander of the Western Squadron and occupies Punta Olímpancó, the fort which overlooks Bray Fentos, the bay, and the battlecruiser and 3 smaller cruisers of the Western Squadron. A recent arrival from the metropolis, Adm. Colihue has been in the wars, lost his left leg below the thigh (but killed the man that took it), and does not understand why the central government continuously caves into the demands of the colonials. Colihue is as resented as the businesses of the town appreciate the hard cash of the sailors.

How this will work:

I will post a situation (impacted at least indirectly by the previous choices you have made) with at least three possible choices. These choices will shape the country as the thread goes on. Everyone will get one vote, but will get to double-vote if the matter at hand is the same as the chosen speciality of your character. There are three areas of speciality: policy/government, economy/business, and the military. The military option will not appear as frequently as the others unless we are engaged in a conflict, in which case it will appear quite often. Time will never move forward more than 4 years between votes.

I will roll a dice to extract a result, with 1 being a total disaster and 10 being a stunning success.

In order to post, you must pick a character. You must pick, at a minimum: name, age, and profession (your profession will determine your role, i.e. if you get to double-vote for policy, economy, or military). You can pick a new character at any time, just be clear if you do so (your character may die, retire into private life, escape to Sharfland to live a life of decadence, etc.).

This post will keep a running track of the stats of what is at your disposal. These are not “hard values”, there are no strict mathematics apart from dice rolls and this is more indicative than anything else.

Factbook:
Year: 1927

Colonial Confederation of Tirsanechó
Population: 1.4 million
Capital: Bray Fentos (pop: 105,000)

Economy: poor
Economy per capita: very poor
Infrastructure: Port of Bray Fentos (small loading facilities)
Primary sector: plantation farming, fishing, minimal mining
Secondary sector: minimal production, no substantial factories
Tertiary sector: minimal commerce and banking

Political system: limited-franchise colonial assembly
Political autonomy: limited, excludes foreign policy, commercial standards, or armed forces
Law & order: Enforced in the greater Bray Fentos area. Colonial law enforcement being slowly trained up and sent to district capitals.

Colonial State Budget: Very Low
Colonial State fiscal reserves: Almost none
Colonial State debt: None

Military: none

Cast of Characters:
Dum: José Maria Garcia Alvaréz de la Mano, Alpaca kingpin (b. 1869)
Ian: Santiago Almeida, sugar-cane baron (b. 1877)
Wolo: Gregorio "Grande" Garcia, Commandant of the Bray Fentos Police Detachment (b. 1867)
Srf: Juan Costa Del Osvisto, explorer and surveyor (b. 1889)
Jer: Antonio Martinez, railroad robber-baron (b. 1886)
Leis: Bautista Torrejón Basavilbaso, Judge of the Penal Court of Bray Fentos (b. ?)
Preston: Raul García Alvarez, businessman and investor-at-large (b. 1879)
Mat: Jorge, profession? (age?)
Prae: Dr. Sauté, Guardian reader
Satilisu: Alfredo Bonfiaz Cortes Domingo Esteban de Fettuccine, dairy futures magnate, landlord, painter of boats (b. 1878)

The Fallen:

flm
Patriotic SMSian

Re: Choose Your Own Veridis

Postby flm » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:58 pm

Factbook:
Year: 1925

Colonial Confederation of Tirsanechó
Population: 1.4 million
Capital: Bray Fentos (pop: 100,000)

Economy: poor
Economy per capita: very poor
Infrastructure: Port of Bray Fentos (small loading facilities)
Primary sector: plantation farming, fishing, minimal mining
Secondary sector: minimal production, no substantial factories
Tertiary sector: minimal commerce and banking

Political system: limited-franchise colonial assembly
Political autonomy: limited, excludes foreign policy, commercial standards, or armed forces
Law & order: enforced in Bray Fentos and surrounding area, weaker the further away you get

Military: none

Situation 1 (economic):
The economic situation in our sleepy colony has reached its highest point since the conclusion of the Great War. Very good harvests of sugar cane and coffee, coupled with the successful passing of the Liberal-Reformist coalition budget in metropolitan Flamaguay, mean that fiscal pressure has been lessened on the colony. This has provided Tirsanechó with extra funds to allocate free of external constraints. There is a proud tradition of agreements accorded at the Lawn Bowling & Badminton Club late on Friday reappearing on Monday morning at the Colonial Council. As such, will the esteemed members decide to:

1) Fund the development of a railway to Yucánte. “We've got a bit of cash now, but the real treasure is below ground!” Fernando Varas, self-declared mining magnate, is quick to offer a suggestion. “We've already discovered copper, and there's bound to be more. We believe there may even be iron in the area as well. There are difficulties both in getting heavy machinery there, and in getting the ore out... but if there was a railway, we'd be rich by sundown!”

2) Expand the Colonial Police, more money means more personnel and a higher standard of training. “Order and progress!” Mayor Ernesto Ibañez' stocky frame lifted from his chair, “A society cannot prosper without order. Our boys need new weapons, and more training! The countryside is a nest of banditry and lawlessness, and will remain so until we have the necessary men to bring the wretched interior into line.”

3) Save the money. “We've been exposed to many surprises before. Our land is resilient, but our purses are small. We are at the periphery on the world stage and have little warning of bad tidings.” The sharp meek voice of Jaime Burgot, banker and proprietor of a hotel by the harbour, penetrated from the back, “We have little in the way of reserves, sometimes its good to defer now and be ready later.”

Dumanum
Patriotic SMSian

Postby Dumanum » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:31 pm

"Expand the police!" exclaims 56 year-old José Maria Garcia Alvaréz del Mano, greatest alpaca kingpin in all Tirsanechó, "We must drive those filthy bandits from their holes and kill them all before they steal my alpacas!"

North Point
Patriotic SMSian

Postby North Point » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:33 pm

48 year old Santiago Almeida, fourth-generation Tirsaños colonial and owner of several sugar cane plantations inland, votes for option #2 as well. "I have had to raise my own local militia to keep my workers safe from bandits in the hills outside Pereira", he shouts, "taxes this government levies on my sugar cane allow the nobility of Bray Fentos to shit into running water, the least they can do is expand the policia to make the hinterlands safe!"

Wolo
Neufag

Postby Wolo » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:58 pm

With considerable effort the portly fist of Gregorio "Grande" Garcia, the 58 year old Commandant of the Bray Fentos Colonial Police Detachment, slams into the table; causing his gout to flare up quite badly.

After regaining his composure, he unsurprisingly agrees with José and Santiago. "Listen, my boys are ready and willing to crack heads but they don't even have repeating rifles. If we're not able to pacify the interior we've no hope of achieving prosperity! Of course I will also require a meagre increase in my salary to reflect the additional duties such an endeavour would put upon me..."

Srf
Patriotic SMSian

Postby Srf » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:22 pm

Running a hand through his luscious shoulder-length blonde hair, 36 year old Juan Costa Del Osvisto takes an effortless drag of his fat cigar and blows the thick blue smoke toward the ceiling fan.

"the issue for me" he begins, tapping ash thoughtfully, "is that the natives are rather feisty fellows. Perhaps you gentlemen are not too familiar with the interior... As you may know I, however, spent three years mapping the rivers and have spent quite some time with the indegenes. What we need is a link to the interior. They will fear our new train as an angry God, and be cowed by our power. Let's build the railway and tap into that precious gold. To fight them would be... Unwise. They are savage and tenacious. We will never truly defeat them... "

He paused to wink at the waitress while she set a new caipriña down in front of him.

"development of the untamed interior is the key, gentlemen. Mark my words on that".

Hanseom
Neufag

Postby Hanseom » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:47 pm

39 year old Antonio Martinez, a railroad robber-baron well known for his work on a railroad system in Valimero, votes for option #1 as he swirls his scotch around in the glass. 'With a railroad, we're propelling ourselves into the 19th century. With my development of the successful North Coast Line in Valimero, I can guarantee a well-managed rail line that will be built under budget to the same high standards as the NCL. With the new diesel locomotives, we can be the envy of the world. It is never a bad time to invest in infrastructure, especially with all these riches to gain.'

Questers
Patriotic SMSian

Postby Questers » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:34 pm

Jorge did not say anything.

He let everyone else speak first.

"The ideal situation," he said finally, "is to spend nothing at all. To save our money. Your projects have no guarantee of success."

Jorge had spoken his mind. He had heard the others speak their mind. Jorge did not smile.

It was not yet time to smile.
[Tue 22:53:29] <colo> holy shit you are the fucking worst guy

Quiberon
Patriotic SMSian

Postby Quiberon » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:01 am

Judge Bautista Torrejón Basavilbaso stepped into the room while Jorge spoke. He sat down quietly and dabbed his nose with a handkerchief. His wife told him that his nose was too large for a magistrate of the Penal Court of Bray Fentos, but he hadn't decided what to do about it yet.

Then it was his turn to speak. "These country bandits must be dealt with. Without the noose, there can be no railway! Let Señor Garcia do his work."
GLASS TABLE - at 13:34
im writing something p ridiculous
im sure @leis willl hate it

Preston
Patriotic SMSian

Postby Preston » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:40 am

Raul Garcia Alvarez sipped from his drink as he heard the others speak their minds; brash and haughty, most of them, but what else was new. Raul had not the deep lineage of these hidalgos, but that hadn't hindered him any in this brave new society. It was said, without much exaggeration, that the 46 year old son of a sailor from Flamaguay could rub two coins together and make a third appear. From insurance to shipping, from the mines to the markets to the plantations of cotton and tobacco that stretched further than the eye could see, there was little in this land that Raul did not have his hand in. His answer, then, would come as no surprise.

"I agree with Señor Costa, though I believe he underestimates the indígenas in some regard. Nevertheless, to go forth with club in hand is to make war; wars cost money, gentlemen, and while there may yet come a time for war I do not believe that time is now. Let us expand the railroad, expand into the interior and teach those wretched creatures how to live properly, and bring a handy profit for ourselves as well. In all my travels, I have yet to meet a man whom a bit of gold couldn't civilize."

Return to “The Great Game”