Choose Your Own Veridis

Play up, play up, and play the game!
flm
Patriotic SMSian

Re: Choose Your Own Veridis

Postby flm » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:31 am

Voting result:
1) Fund the development of a railway to Yucánte: 3 - Juan Costa Del Osvisto (Srf), Antonio Martinez (Jer), Raul Garcia Alvarez (Preston).
2) Expand the Colonial Police: 4 - José Maria Garcia Alvaréz de la Mano (Dum), Santiago Almeida (Ian), Gregorio "Grande" Garcia (Wolo), Torrejón Basavilbaso (Leis).
3) Save the money: 1 - Jorge (Mat).

Roll 1d10: 6 Very modest success.

The Colonial Council, faced with a tidy sum of unexpected money, allocated extra funds to the bolstering of the police force from the 1926 budget year onward. New weaponry is imported, and a small intake of men is authorized to create small garrisons in the 6 district capitals. Unlike previous policemen, which responded to local authorities, the new Guardia Colonial reports to Bray Fentos, and represents the first centrally-administered force in the entire colony. However, implementation is slow, and the mayors and local policemen of the respective district capitals are not fully cooperative. They are, at least, not uncooperative, and do not actively sabotage the efforts of the Colonial Capital. Much as the gentlemen of the Lawn Bowling & Badminton Club resent far-off Flamaguay with its haughty, effeminate, politicians then so too may some in the district capitals resent the notables of Bray Fentos. With work, Tirsanechó may count with a cohesive police force yet.

Factbook:
Year: 1927

Colonial Confederation of Tirsanechó
Population: 1.4 million
Capital: Bray Fentos (pop: 105,000)

Economy: poor
Economy per capita: very poor
Infrastructure: Port of Bray Fentos (small loading facilities)
Primary sector: plantation farming, fishing, minimal mining
Secondary sector: minimal production, no substantial factories
Tertiary sector: minimal commerce and banking

Political system: limited-franchise colonial assembly
Political autonomy: limited, excludes foreign policy, commercial standards, or armed forces
Law & order: Enforced in the greater Bray Fentos area. Colonial law enforcement being slowly trained up and sent to district capitals.

Colonial State Budget: Very Low
Colonial State fiscal reserves: Almost none
Colonial State debt: None

Military: none

Situation 2: Worker Unrest?
Palito Choquehuanca, a Charayapaya field-hand and known local rabble-rouser, has outdone himself this time. Usually content with organizing small strikes and protests in Tucanlú, has somehow managed to get a litany of his protests published in one of Flamaguay's leading dailies, the Heraldo del Sol. The report details Palito's complaints regarding the cruel treatment of workers, the forcing of workers to accept company script rather than Pesos, the clear segregation of native and mixed-blood workers into simple and menial tasks, while Wallasean occupy the posts of overseers and managers, etc. etc. among other surely exaggerated and outrageous claims. This has turned a minor inconvenience into something of an actual issue, as those cruel meddlers in the metropolis will do anything possible to curtail the right of the Colony to rule itself. Its been rumored that Adm. Colihue has even been telegrammed by the Colonial Ministry specifically about the matter. If a course of action is not decided upon, then perhaps something may be

1) Engage with Mr. Palito Choquehuanca. "He may be a native, but let's not pretend the man is delusional either. Some of what he says is true, and this fellow has somehow got himself enough of an education to read and write, he's not a total imbecile and won't be that easy to get rid of." Ramón Flores, a tobacco farmer known for treating his workers relatively well offers further: "if we just relax treatment of the working force a bit the metropolitanos will be off our backs. They have many more things to worry about and will be happy with little."

2) Do nothing. "Exactly! Our supposed friends in the metropole are busy as it is. You think they want to pay attention to what some farm-hand from a 5,000 person town has to say" Abelardo Bandler, owner of a coffee plantation calmly notes. "Look, I've been to Tucanlú and its not that bad. Moreover than that, its a boring and very regular place, a bit of excitement by protesting, perhaps a bit too much beer for a few too many loudmouths, nothing more. This will blow over soon enough, the worst thing we can do is pay attention to them."

3) Send in the police. "For what Goddammed Hands did we just blow the budget on buying new rifles for!" Antonio Zuggarramurdi spat out beer over his thick black beard and half of the table in-front of him. "You give these people your hand and they'll chop you off at the elbow! Send in a hundred of our best men, grab this Palito shit-stirrer, drag him down to Bray Fentos, and shoot the bastard! ... hmmm? yes ok... you're right. We'll drag him to the court house and try him and hang him!"

North Point
Patriotic SMSian

Postby North Point » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:51 pm

Almeida shifts uncomfortably in his seat. Some of his own workers had expressed sympathy for Choquehuanca, and he had found some of the man's pamphlets scattered around the outbuildings at one of his plantations. "We should tread lightly", he begins, to grunts of annoyance from some of the assembly, "mistreatment of our working population may seem the obvious choice. But with the presence of the Guardia Colonial, and the subsequent disbandment of our local militias, there exists a core cadre of my farm workers who are armed and could pose a real threat if agitated." Suddenly some of the assembly members sit upright and begin to listen closely. "I agree with Senor Flores, we should engage with Choquehuanca."

A mix of jeering and subdued murmur results.

Dumanum
Patriotic SMSian

Postby Dumanum » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:03 pm

José Maria Garcia Alvaréz del Mano's craggy, weather-worn face is a stern mask as he listens to his fellow council members. Many of his ranch hands are natives, though he's not heard much in the way of complaints from them, certainly nothing approaching this- he treats them well enough as it is. Still, that didn't mean they ought to have a say in the matter. Besides, these farmers were his neighbors: this sort of sentiment could spread quickly, under the right circumstances.

The lanky little man strokes his luxurious white moustache, and finally leans forward to speak when Almeida finishes, "Señores Almeida and Flores make excellent points. However, I think Señor Zuggarramurdi is not wrong when he says they take your whole arm when you offer your hand. Engaging with this upstart is the wrong move because it legitimizes him, but arresting him could provoke them to violence.

"I think we best ignore him- we give our workers perhaps a bit more than their fill for a few months and I suspect they will stop listening to this Señor Choquehuanca."

Praetonia
Patriotic SMSian

Postby Praetonia » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:13 pm

"We need to listen to them," Dr. Sauté tittered foppishly in an Evián accent he had never managed to shake off.

"Our industry won't be truly productive until we empower the workers. Why are the Praetannics so rich? Simple: they empower the workers.

"It's in your own interest," he put down his lemonade. "I learned that at university."
<leis2> Otoh i am also an antiquarian so im legitimately interested in how purple dye was made in sidon
<leis2> (using mollusks)

Srf
Patriotic SMSian

Postby Srf » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:25 pm

Juan Costa Del Osvisto nods sagely and takes a sip of his neat Porteño white rum.

"I would agree, we should encourage these people" he begins. Funnily enough, I recently spent six months living among the Tenochticalixacan natives who inhabit the area. In my... Humble opinion..." he takes another drink, and motions for more ice, "they represent an untapped economic potential. I would certainly feel that this man, rabble rouser as he is, can be coopted if we engage proactively".

North Point
Patriotic SMSian

Postby North Point » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:24 pm

Tirsanecho Guardia Colonial - example officers, 1926

since it's VERY IMPORTANT:

- Standard issue rifle: .30-06 Springfield M1903 (sourced by Grande Garcia from his Dumani contacts) - order for 500 rifles placed August 1925 and delivered January 1926 (serials 2,601,451 to 2,601,950 @ $15 (1925) per rifle - VERY RARE LIGHTENING FAST SHIP A+ PRAEBAY SELLER)
- Standard issue sidearm: .380 ACP Colt 1903 hammerless (sourced in same order from Dumanum) - 1,300 pistols serial range 1,345,026 to 1,346,326 @ $25 per pistol

Preston
Patriotic SMSian

Postby Preston » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:55 pm

Raul nods serenely as his associates speak; for once, they seem to have some sense about them.

“I believe we are all in agreement, as am I, that we ought to hear what this man has to say. Perhaps that alone will satisfy him; in any case, it will help us understand his thinking, and prepare for his next moves.”

flm
Patriotic SMSian

Postby flm » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:20 pm

Voting result:
1) Engage with Choquehuanca: 4 - Santiago Almeida (Ian), Dr. Sauté (Prae), Juan Costa Del Osvisto (Srf), Raul Garcia Alvarez (Preston).
2) Do nothing: 1 - José Maria Garcia Alvaréz de la Mano (Dum)
3) Send in the police: 0

Roll 1d10: 4 Minimal failure.

Palito Choquehuanca's words did not go unheeded in what passed for the corridors of power of Bray Fentos. His articles would, at the very least, shine a negative light on the colony's affairs, and potentially bring in unwelcome attention from the metropole. The Colonial Council resolved to engage with Choquehuanca directly. Ramón Flores, known for his benign approach and familiar custom with the farmhands, was selected to be the unofficial representative of the Bray Fentos elite. Flores and Choquehuanca met several times over the period of three months, but were ultimately unable to resolve any of Choquehuanca's outstanding demands. The political will for structured reform in terms of provisions for workers did not exist in Tirsanechó, and that was unlikely to change soon. However, Choquehuanca reacted well to the outreach, and earnestly believes Flores to be an honest interlocutor. By extension, his view on the Colonial Council has slightly warmed. Resolute in his original goals, he has established the "Farmhands' League", a political organization that at present only counts with a handful of members. The issue has failed to gain much traction in Flamaguayan newspapers, and after a couple of follow-up articles the matter has been largely dropped.

Factbook:
Year: 1929

Colonial Confederation of Tirsanechó
Population: 1.43 million
Capital: Bray Fentos (pop: 110,000)

Economy: poor
Economy per capita: very poor
Infrastructure: Port of Bray Fentos (small loading facilities)
Primary sector: plantation farming, fishing, minimal mining
Secondary sector: minimal production, no substantial factories
Tertiary sector: minimal commerce and banking

Political system: limited-franchise colonial assembly
Political autonomy: limited, excludes foreign policy, commercial standards, or armed forces
Law & order: Enforced in the greater Bray Fentos area. Colonial law enforcement deployed in district capitals.
Political groups: "Farmhands' League" - led by Palito Choquehuanca (membership: very low).

Colonial State Budget: Very Low
Colonial State fiscal reserves: Almost none
Colonial State debt: None

Military: none

Situation 3: The Admiral and his Friends

On a clear morning the citizens of Bray Fentos can see the sunrise dance on the turrets of the battle-cruiser Audaz and the cruisers Socapa, Turzón, and Ferrol. To some they are a welcome sight, a measure of the continued commitment of the Republic as a whole to her colonies, to others, they are a resentful reminder of the discrepancy in power between the locals and their far-off rulers. To all, they are a sign of the might and projection of the Flamaguayan Aramada, an institution that survived the Great War in a much stronger condition than the state that calls upon it for service. On this particular sunrise the bay below Punta Olímpancó also boasted the presence of the battleship Aranibar, the seaplane-tender Archipélago de Poyapáno, and 5 more smaller ships. Bolstering the Western Squadron for annual exercises, the recent arrivals also brought visitors from the metropole, officers that must be received by Tirsanechó for the length of their stay.

1) Hold a proper function.

"To Admiral Hugo Colihue,
Commander of the Western Squadron,
Fortín de Punta Olímpancó,

It would be a most celebrated occasion for the Lawn Bowling & Badminton Club and the distinguished membership which comprises it if the Admiral, and all visiting officers, would attend the ball to be held this Saturday night on our grounds. The citizenry of Bray Fentos wish to commemorate the usage of our port as the base for the present war-games and applaud the continuous endeavor of our naval forces in protecting the trade links to the mother continent and the security of civilization as a whole.

Awaiting your positive reply,

Signed,
Fernando García de Dernialde
President,
Lawn Bowling & Badminton Club of Bray Fentos,
Colonial Confederation of Tirsanechó,
Republic of Flamaguay"

2) Host a luncheon. " TO ADM COLIHUE BC AUDAZ STOP INVITE YOUR HONOUR AND ALL CAPTAINS ON OCCASION OF VISIT STOP LUNCH TO BE HELD SUNDAY WITH CLUB BOARD AND MYSELF STOP LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR REPLY STOP SIGNED FERNANDO GARCIA DE DERNIALDE PRESIDENT STOP"

3) Make a point of ignoring them. "I really don't care what you write as long as its not too rude. That's why I pay you, so I don't have to write these trite pieces of correspondence. Say something nice about welcoming them and then blow them off. They probably expect us to invite them to some silly little dance or something. I'm fed up with these metropolitans they come here with their arrogant opinions all the while their own country falls to pieces ,the fools! Close the door on your way out!"

Preston
Patriotic SMSian

Postby Preston » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:36 pm

“They must be given the proper respects!,” Raul states forcefully. “Let us throw a grand ball for our honored guests, show them that we are honorable gentlemen as any in their metropoles, remind them of the wisdom of our present arrangement. Just keep that rabble-rouser Palito far away from it, for Oswin’s sake!”

satilisu
Patriotic SMSian

Postby satilisu » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:12 pm

Mr. Alfredo Bonfiaz Cortes Domingo Esteban de Fettuccine (b. 1878), dairy futures magnate, landlord, painter of boats, and the only Occidentalist in Bray Fentos, finishes a sip of port and harrumphs.

His overweight body rises to speak, beginning with a wobble of his ruddy jowls. "I understand our need to, ah, practice our filial pieties, as a wise yellow sage once said, we need not debase ourselves. A ball is, how shall I say this? Excessive? No, we could well afford one from time to time--perhaps cloying is the better word? In any case it would cause Mister"--he said it with some venom--"Choquehuanca some heartache if were to kowtow to our benefactors in such a manner. A private luncheon with the admiral and select members of his staff would suffice for our needs. He will have a private audience with us, and us with him--away from every social climber in Bray Fentos and the infernal news-papers!"

Return to “The Great Game”