Choose Your Own Veridis

Play up, play up, and play the game!
North Point
Patriotic SMSian

Re: Choose Your Own Veridis

Postby North Point » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:14 pm

Slamming his fist on the table in an uncharacteristically aggressive motion, Almeida shouts, "To hell with these metropole slime! We are a country of settlers who can exist without the great Armada breathing down our necks! When was the last time those sailors came ashore to do anything other than drink and whore in Bray Fentos? I say we ignore them completely!"

Questers
Patriotic SMSian

Postby Questers » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:38 pm

Jorge grunted. Breathing was hard, these days. Wine slipped from a glass onto his shirt, and put him into a foul mood.

The metropoles. Jorge pursed his lips. No, he did not like them. Not for any other reason than he had been spurned by them. A chance to spurn them back?

Why not. "The business of the colony is not related to the business of the navy," Jorge said. "We are busy running a country. There's no time for games. Let them go to the cantinas and brothels of the capital."

He dabbed his shirt. It was ruined, most likely. Pity.

"They can play there, if they like."
[Tue 22:53:29] <colo> holy shit you are the fucking worst guy

Dumanum
Patriotic SMSian

Postby Dumanum » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:44 pm

"A waste of perfectly good coin! These metropoletanos take enough from us as it is and now you'd have us bending over backwards to lick their boots?" José Maria Garcia Alvaréz del Mano slowly shook his head, "No, let them sulk around the whore houses in their pretty boats if they wish."

Wolo
Neufag

Postby Wolo » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Gregorio "Grande" Garcia twirled his contract 1903 around his sausage like index finger and harrumphed like a mare with an empty feed bag.
"As my esteemed friends have expressed, our financial situation is far too fragile to cater to the no-doubt expensive tastes of these metropoletanos, we can't be seen spending frivolously after that nonsense with the farm-hand. They can break their teeth on hard-tack for all I care."

Srf
Patriotic SMSian

Postby Srf » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:03 pm

"I would say a quiet, private dinner for the admiral and his staff would be quite comfortable" Juan Costa Del Osvisto says. He reaches up to the black patch covering his left eye, which even a year after its loss still itches inexplicably. "Let us think about this, gentlemen. We must demonstrate to the Metropolitanos our ability to maintain a distant outpost of civility and peace so far from their reach. It would not do well for us to shirk them, and make ourselves too much of a target for uppity Flamaguayans who would seek to take control of our fair colony".

Juan looks around the room. "On my latest expedition, I travelled to meet the Hapaxiouxolian of the south-east. Whilst there I watched as they slighted a neighboring chief, who took deepest offence, and returned with a war party and slaughtered the entire village. Even I found myself staring into a cavernous cooking pot, and was only saved by the irresistible lure of my golden pocket watch. We are... We are a civilised and generous lot. Let us demonstrate our ability to run our own affairs and continue the cultural mission of the motherland. I would say this is not too much of an expense when we consider the implications of snubbing our heavily armed overlords, as bitter a taste it may be to briefly kowtow".

Praetonia
Patriotic SMSian

Postby Praetonia » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:46 am

"Merde," flounced Dr. Sauté. "We should have nothing to do with these hangmen of the working class. Violence is never justified unless it is done for the sake of the working class in which case it is fine.

"The admiral is probably not working class," he clarified, effeminately.
<leis2> Otoh i am also an antiquarian so im legitimately interested in how purple dye was made in sidon
<leis2> (using mollusks)

flm
Patriotic SMSian

Postby flm » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:57 pm

Voting result:
1) Host a proper function: 1 Raul Garcia Alvarez (Preston).
2) Invite the Adm. and top officers to lunch: 2 - Alfredo Bonfiaz Cortes Domingo Esteban de Fettuccine (Satilisu), Juan Costa Del Osvisto (Srf).
3) Blow them off: 5 Santiago Almeida (Ian), Jorge (Mat), José Maria Garcia Alvaréz de la Mano (Dum), Gregorio "Grande" Garcia (Wolo), Dr. Sauté (Prae).

Roll 1d10: 5 Neither success nor failure

The decision by the part of the Fray Bentos elite to present a cold shoulder to the visiting officers did not go unnoticed. However, given the already frigid relationship between the Admiral and the self-identified notables of the colony, the gesture was perhaps less significant than had been intended. Admiral Colihue had not been expecting much, and had told the visiting officers as much. Relations with the Admiral continue to be frigid, and this incident, while not groundbreaking, will be added to the long litany of minor but purposeful offenses accrued by the colonials. Somewhere in an office of the Colonial Ministry, a bureaucrat sighs disappointingly.

Factbook:
Year: 1930

Colonial Confederation of Tirsanechó
Population: 1.43 million
Capital: Bray Fentos (pop: 115,000)

Economy: poor
Economy per capita: very poor
Infrastructure: Port of Bray Fentos (small loading facilities)
Primary sector: plantation farming, fishing, minimal mining
Secondary sector: minimal production, no substantial factories
Tertiary sector: minimal commerce and banking

Political system: limited-franchise colonial assembly
Political autonomy: limited, excludes foreign policy, commercial standards, or armed forces
Law & order: Enforced in the greater Bray Fentos area. Colonial law enforcement deployed in district capitals.
Political groups: "Farmhands' League" - led by Palito Choquehuanca (membership: very low).

Flamaguyan opinion of the Colonial government:
Adm. Colihue's opinion: mildly negative

Colonial State Budget: Very Low
Colonial State fiscal reserves: Almost none
Colonial State debt: None

Military: none

Situation 4: Zaruma in peril
The latest wire from Coimbra brings a sordid update on the situation there. Information is limited, but it is assured that the North-East of the country has fallen into complete lawlessness. Rural discontent, ethnic animosity, and economic inequality have boiled over in the colony to the south, and the local government is unable to maintain order in many parts of the country. The "Zarumian Peasant's Confederation" has raised its flags in the mountainous town of Toquelén, poorly armed but well-organized, they offer a credible future threat to the stability of the colony. Small elements of Zaruma's "Colonial Legion" have either defected or refuse to respond to orders to quell dissent, awaiting for the situation to become clearer. The bulk of the forces, positioned around Coimbra, still constitute the strongest and most well-equipped forces in the colony, and it is undeniable that the government still holds the advantage.

The Fray Bentos dailies spend their ink on little else than offering solutions to the most crisis on the continent since the end of the Great War.

1) Intervention! It is our obligation to act quickly and decisively. The situation in Zaruma could deteriorate from one day to the next. The subversive Peasant Confederation is but the first head of the hydra, and a tepid response from Coimbra may still overcome it, only to give time to other nefarious organizations to coalesce. We count with a new Colonial Guard, and by now it is reasonably trained and equipped. We propose not to send these men straight into battle, but to relieve the Zaruman government forces around their capital, so the Zaruman Colonial Legion may be deployed in force to strangle this issue in the crib. Untended, this is nothing less than a powder-keg placed below the entire continent!

2) It is still incomprehensible to the members of the editorial board as to why Tirsanos should die in the attempt to rectify the errors of others. We lost men during the Great War for no discernible benefit, and we stand to sacrifice more of our youth for no reason yet again. It is our contention that we are not the colonial auxiliary for the decrepit metropole. We should look to our own defense, rather than to throw away our strength piecemeal. There will be other crises in the future, and we cannot be expect to sheepishly present ourselves as cannon-fodder for them all. The situation in Zaruma is serious, others contend, and they are right. It is exactly because of this that steps must be taken to expand our own capabilities and the Colonial Guard should be given full paramilitary power, at the very minimum, if not to create a separate standing military force entirely. To place the faith of our stability on the militia is no longer viable.

3) The situation in Zaruma is much worse than as described in other, less reputable, publications. This is precisely why Tirsanechó has no need to act. Relations between the metropole and the colonies can hardly be described as idyllic, but nonetheless, we are part of the Empire and must look to the motherland for protection. Flamaguay cannot permit Zaruma to fall. The collapse of a member of the Colonial Confederations would be serious enough to provoke yet another cabinet collapse, if not to necessitate new elections. A response will be made, but there is no need for it to originate in the colonies. Compared to our limited prowess, the metropole counts with unparalleled strength, and a fraction of its power could be mobilized to quell this upstart rebellion.

Preston
Patriotic SMSian

Postby Preston » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:52 am

Raul puffs on his cigar and looks up from the latest edition of the local paper. His compatriots have not yet offered their opinions, but there is little need to beat around the bush: the same thing has been the talk of the club for days now. Still, he must choose his words carefully. One never knows what backroom talk stays in the backrooms, and which is funneled back to burning ears...

"We must tread carefully, this above all. The problems of Zaruma are the problems of Zaruma, and the responsibility of the metropolitanos. It serves us no purpose to be seen shooting off to their defence, to the waste of Tirsano coin and lives. Yet to do nothing is no solution either. Therefore I propose that our response be, in all regards, measured, purposeful and with an eye toward our own lands. The world around us is changing, gentlemen. Gone are the days when we could dispatch a few of our hired men to rough up the pub rabble-rousers, and that be the end of it. These are serious threats, and a serious response is required. Let us ensure ourselves capable of such response, turn our humble Guardia Colonial into a proper military force. We cannot expect the metropolitanos to defend us forever, and surely, as men, we have the right to defend ourselves and that which we have built here!"

North Point
Patriotic SMSian

Postby North Point » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:38 pm

"I agree with Senor Alvarez!" shouts Almeida, "what a ridiculous situation we find ourselves in, only months after the great Armada leaves our shores -- and now we are contemplating sending men to Zaruma? We must bolster our own local defense. Who cares what happens to the hijo de putas in Zaruma? If they had followed our example and commissioned their own Guardia Colonial, instead of spending their coin on effeminate bedwetting politicians' fancy dinners, they would not be in this position!"

Srf
Patriotic SMSian

Postby Srf » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:45 pm

"Perhaps the time has indeed come to establish a nationally-led Garda Colonial... Juan Costa muses, looking up for a second from his sheaf of notes and writing paper. "Sorry, let me just put this pen down - I'm writing a book, you see, about the Veridian colonisation. "Funnily enough, I am partway through the chapter dedicated to the tribes of the lower Zamura... I saw a most peculiar event there one time, in the company of the Toyuxipa people. They lived peacefully for years, quietly farming small jungle fowl and hogs. For their defence, they came to an arrangement with a nearby tribe, the Mahama - pigs for spears, as it were. If they had a grievance, theMahama would sack the village of the offender with great prejudice. A remarkable system, and from an anthropological point of view could be taken to support the view of taxation as a human condition and suchlike... Anyway. One day, the hogs were struck down by a lethal disease. When the Mahama discovered this, they simply upped sticks and left. The Toyuxipa were simply left to be slaughtered."

Juan Costa sighs philosophically, and takes a sip of Poyapanan rum. His face expresses deep ennui.

"We should be mindful of this example, gentlemen. One day the Metropolitanos will leave. We have already seen it happen, slowly. The Zagorantes lost their Rubber colony a decade ago already. We should be prepared for when that day comes...

Return to “The Great Game”